14 Lawsuits Filed Against Diocese of Ogdensburg Wednesday Under Child Victims Act
Four Perpetrators Identified Publicly for the First Time
(Watertown, NY) – Today in Watertown, the law firms of LaFave, Wein & Frament, and Jeff Anderson & Associates will:
- Announce the filing of 14 lawsuits against the Diocese of Ogdensburg yesterday (Wednesday, August 14, 2019) when the one-year window provision of the New York Child Victims Act (CVA) took effect;
- Reveal a list of the names of the perpetrators named in the lawsuits, including four perpetrators named publicly for the first time. (The list is attached, with perpetrators named for the first time highlighted in red);
- Reveal a list of the locations at which the named perpetrators worked and abused children (see attached);
- Demand the Diocese of Ogdensburg and Bishop Terry LaValley release all the names of every credibly accused priest who has worked in the Diocese, as well information on the alleged perpetrators’ history, current whereabouts and what the Diocese knew about alleged child sexual abuse;
- Discuss the CVA, which was signed into law in February 2019. The CVA window gives survivors of child sexual abuse one year to bring lawsuits in cases that were previously barred by the statute of limitations, no matter when the abuse occurred;
- Encourage sexual abuse survivors to come forward confidentially under the CVA.
Today, Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 2:30 PM (ET)
Hilton Garden Inn Watertown
Room: Adirondack Mountain Room
1290 Arsenal Street
Watertown, NY 13601
The press conference will be live-streamed via YouTube, Facebook and at LaFave Wein & Frament Facebook
On March 14, 2018, Jeff Anderson & Associates released the report Clerical Sexual Abuse in the Diocese of Ogdensburg that contained the names, photographs and assignment histories of 8 clergy members accused of child sexual abuse.