The New Law Will Protect Kids, Help Survivors Heal and Hold Institutions Accountable
(Sacramento, CA) – California took a gigantic step for child protection today when Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the California Child Victims Act.
“We applaud California lawmakers for passing the legislation and the governor for signing the bill,” said attorney Jeff Anderson of Jeff Anderson & Associates law firm, who represents survivors of child sexual abuse in California and throughout the United States. “Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez worked tirelessly for this law and guided it through the Legislature. She is a champion for children and a giant in the child protection movement.”
The new law goes into effect on January 1, 2020. The law provides a three-year window for sexual abuse survivors to bring lawsuits against perpetrators and institutions that protected them in cases that were previously barred by the statute of limitations, no matter when the abuse occurred. Aside from the window, the bill also changes the statute of limitations and raises the age limit to file a sexual abuse lawsuit from age 26 to age 40, or within five years of the date a survivor discovers the psychological injury or illness caused by the abuse (whichever comes later).
“The law makes kids safer,” said attorney Mike Finnegan of Jeff Anderson & Associates. “It gives survivors the opportunity to expose offenders and institutions that cover up abuse. It is a historic day in California and an enormous moment for child protection.”
Jeff Anderson & Associates, along with advocates, will discuss the new law at press conferences Monday in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Details on those events will follow soon. Attorney Mike Reck is immediately available via Skype for comment. He can be reached at (714) 742-6593.