Lawsuits Name 12 Jesuit Priests of the Northeastern Province Accused of Child Sexual Abuse in New York, Four for the First Time
(Manhattan, NY) – Today, attorneys from the law firm of Jeff Anderson & Associates, on behalf of multiple courageous survivors, filed fourteen (14) child sexual abuse lawsuits under the New York Child Victims Act (CVA) against the Society of Jesus USA Northeastern Province (Jesuits). The firm has filed a total of 18 lawsuits against the religious order under the CVA.
“The survivors bringing suit today have summoned all their strength and courage to stand up and expose predators hidden within one of the most revered religious orders within the Catholic Church,” said attorney Jeff Anderson. “But it is these survivors who should be revered for their tremendous bravery. We are proud to stand with each of them in this time of reckoning.”
Among the complaints:
- Four Jesuits have been publicly identified for the first time. They include:
- Joseph Roth, S.J., accused of sexually abusing a minor in approximately 1953. The lawsuit alleges abuse at Canisius High School in Buffalo, NY
- Gilbert Schmid, S.J., accused of sexually abusing a minor at St. Ann’s in Buffalo, NY
- Harry Untereiner, S.J., accused of sexually abusing a minor at McQuaid High School in Rochester, NY from approximately 1978 to 1980
- James Curry, S.J., accused of sexually abusing a minor at McQuaid High School in Rochester, NY from approximately 1974 to 1977
- Three are brought by former students of Regis High School in New York, NY; of these three, two allege sexual abuse by Edward Horgan, S.J. from approximately 1965 to 1971 and one alleges sexual abuse by Fr. Robert Voelkle, S.J., in approximately 1976.
- One implicates John Farrand, S.J., accused of sexually abusing a minor student at Loyola School in New York, NY from approximately 1979 to 1981. Prior to his death in 2003, Fr. Farrand worked at Jesuit schools in Buffalo, Rochester, New York, Brooklyn and France.
- One alleges sexual abuse by Roy Drake, S.J. at Fordham Preparatory School in Bronx, NY from approximately 1965 to 1966.
- One lawsuit implicates Herbert Rogers, S.J., accused of sexually abusing a minor at Fordham University in Bronx, NY from approximately 1966 to 1967.
- Two implicate Maurice Meyers, S.J., accused of sexually abusing two minors in the 1970s. For decades, Fr. Meyers was a summer chaplain for the Boy Scouts of America. Fr. Meyers worked in New York, New Jersey and Illinois prior to his death in 1980.
- Two lawsuits involve Peter Conroy, S.J., accused of sexually abusing minors between 1968 and 1972. Fr. Conroy worked across New York State in Buffalo, Syracuse and New York City.
“These courageous survivors join hundreds of others who have chosen to bring suit under the Child Victims Act. As the one-year window to bring a claim in New York closes, these survivors are looking for validation, accountability and transparency so that children are better protected in the future,” said attorney Trusha Goffe.
The deadline to bring a claim under New York’s Child Victims Act is August 13, 2020.