In 2004, Fr. Michael O’Herlihy of the Archdiocese of New York was named in a lawsuit brought by survivors of child sexual abuse. The lawsuit alleged that Fr. O’Herlihy sexually abused a student in approximately 1980 while working at Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, New York. The lawsuit was dismissed on statute of limitations grounds.
Fr. Michael O’Herlihy was ordained in 1961 and worked at the following locations:
- 1961-1962: St. Aloysius, Livingston Manor, NY
- 1961-1962: Sacred Heart, De Bruce, NY; Gate of Heaven, Roscoe, NY; All Souls, Shandelee Lake, NY (missions of St. Aloysius in Livingston Manor)
- 1962-1968: St. Paul’s, New Brighton (Staten Island), NY
- 1968-1969: Our Lady of Solace, New York (Bronx), NY
- 1970-1980: Cardinal Hayes High School, New York (Bronx), NY
- 1980-1992: Cardinal Spellman High School, New York (Bronx), NY
Fr. O’Herlihy was placed on leave in 1992 and laicized in 1993. In 2009, Fr. O’Herlihy was working at Manhattan Comprehensive Night and Day High School in New York as assistant principal for math and science. He died in 2013.