According to a July 14, 2014, sworn affidavit filed in the Doe 1 v. Archdiocese of Saint Paul & Minneapolis civil lawsuit by former Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, Jennifer Haselberger, Father Jonathan Shelley was investigated by the Archdiocese in approximately 2004-2005.
During an investigation done by the Archdiocese, it was determined that Father Shelley was in possession of ‘borderline illegal’ pornography because of the youthful looking images. No report was made to law enforcement.
Shelley allegedly destroyed a different computer he used. The hard drive that the Archdiocese had was not kept. When it was made public in 2013, all that was left were three discs of images, not the original hard drive. Based on a review of the three discs, the prosecutors did not charge Shelley in 2013.
Father Jonathan Shelley has worked at the following locations:
· 1995 – Ordained
· 1995-1998 – Administrator, St. Charles, Bayport, MN; Associate, St. Michael’s, Stillwater, MN; Deacon
· 1999-2005 – Pastor, St. Jude of the Lake, Mahtomedi, MN
· 2006 – St. John the Baptist, Jordan, MN
· 2007 – Unknown
· 2008-2009 – St. Stephen, Minneapolis, MN
· 2010-2012 – St. John the Baptist, Hugo, MN
· 2013 – Special Assignment
· 2014 – Leave of Absence