Father Urban Schmitt was born July 19, 1919. He was a priest of the Crosier Fathers and Brothers and was ordained in 1949. He worked in parishes and at assignments in Minnesota, Nebraska and Indiana from 1950 until 1999. His assignments included working as pastor at Holy Family Church in Moose Lake, Minn., and Holy Trinity Church in Barnum, Minn. (Diocese of Duluth), from 1964-66, and as parochial vicar at St. Odilia in Shoreview, Minn. (Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis), from 1966-73.
Father Schmitt is included on official lists of clergy members who have been credibly accused of child sexual abuse, including a list made public by the Crosier Fathers and Brothers on March 6, 2014, and a list made public by the Diocese of Duluth in 2014.
According to the Crosier Fathers and Brothers and the Diocese of Duluth, Father Schmitt worked in the following parishes and assignments:
• 1950-53 Parochial Vicar, St. Vincent, Elkhart, Ind.
• 1953-58 Pastor, St. Ann, Doniphan, Neb., and St. Patrick, Highland, Neb.
• 1958-64 Our Lady of the Lake Seminary, Syracuse, Ind.
• 1964-66 Pastor, Holy Family, Moose Lake, Minn., & Holy Trinity, Barnum,
• 1966-73 Parochial Vicar, St. Odilia, Shoreview, Minn.
• 1973-94 Pastor, St. Helena, Grafton, Neb., & St. Patrick, McCool Junction,
• 1994-99 Weekend assistance, Diocese of Lincoln (including St. Michael,
Albion, Neb., in 1996 and St. Francis of Assisi, Neligh, Neb., in 1997)
• 1997-98 Administrator, St. Anthony, Cedar Rapids, Neb., and Mission of
St. Mary, Primrose, Neb.
• 1998-99 Crosier Community of Hastings, Neb.
According to the Crosier Fathers and Brothers, Father Schmitt retired in 1994. He died in 1999.
On December 7, 2015, the Diocese of Duluth filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier in 2015.
More information on the Diocese of Duluth bankruptcy can be found at:
More information on the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis bankruptcy can be found at:
In October 2015, a jury verdict was handed down against the Diocese of Duluth in a child sexual abuse case in Ramsey County involving Fr. James Vincent Fitzgerald. Several documents regarding Father Bissonnette were introduced into evidence at the trial.
FATHER BERNARD BISSIONNETTE DOCUMENTS
On December 7, 2015, the Diocese of Duluth filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. More information on the Diocese of Duluth bankruptcy can be found at: