Multiple survivors have come forward alleging that Fr. Bruce Ritter sexually abused them as children. The survivors alleged abuse by Fr. Ritter while they lived at Covenant House in New York, New York, a shelter for homeless youth that Fr. Ritter had founded.
Fr. Bruce Ritter was ordained in 1956 and worked at the following locations:
- 1956-1959: Conventual Franciscan Seminary, Rome, Italy (doctoral student)
- 1959-1961: St. Anthony on Hudson, Rensselaer, NY
- 1961-1962: St. Hyacinth Seminary, Granby, MA
- 1962-1963: St. Francis of Assisi Friary, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1963-1968: Manhattan College, New York, NY (theology teacher)
- 1968-1982: Covenant House, New York, NY
- 1982-1983: Mission of the Immaculate Virgin, New York, NY
- 1983-1990: Covenant House, New York, NY
- 1990-1992: Covenant House, Anchorage, AK
- 1992-1999: Fr. Ritter moved to a rural farmhouse in Otsego County, New York.
Fr. Ritter died on October 7, 1999.