Father Othmar Hohmann, OSB, was born as Leo J. Hohmann on January 28, 1900 in Richmond, Minnesota. He professed vows as a monk in 1926 and was ordained as a priest in 1931.
Father Hohmann is included on official lists of clergy members who have been credibly accused of child sexual abuse from three dioceses and one religious order including: the Diocese of Duluth, the Diocese of St. Cloud, the Diocese of Crookston, and St. John’s Abbey.
According to the St. John’s Abbey list (released 12/19/2013); the Diocese of Duluth list (released 12/31/2013); the Diocese of St. Cloud list (released 1/03/2014); the Diocese of Crookston list (released 1/24/2014); and our own investigation, Father Hohmann worked at the following parishes:
· 1931 St. Joseph’s Church, Waite Park, MN
· 1932-36 St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, Bahamas
· 1938 Attended Alumni Standup in Mandan, ND (1/27/1938)
· 1939 Directed plays in Mandan, ND and Bismarck, ND (March, 1939)
· Pre-1942 Directed parish plays in North Dakota and Minnesota
· 1942-47 St. Boniface Church, Hastings, MN
· 1947 Abbey’s Mission Band
· 1948 St. James Catholic Church, Vernal, UT
· Pre-1949 Mission churches in Denver Diocese
· 1949-54 Immaculate Conception, New Munich, MN
· 1954-57 St. Boniface, Cold Spring, MN
· 1957-58 Hospital Chaplain, St. Michael, Oakes, ND
· 1958-60 Pastor, Holy Rosary, Detroit Lakes, MN
· Pre-1961 Fargo Diocese, Superior Diocese, and Crookston Diocese
· 1961-66 Church of St. Joseph, St. Joseph, MN
· 1966-76 Assistant Pastor, St. Joseph’s Church, Grand Rapids, MN
· 1976 St. John’s Abbey, Collegeville, MN
Ministerial Status: Retired in 1976 and died 1/24/1980.
As of December 2013, four women had reported sexual abuse by Father Hohmann. In each report, the abuse occurred in the victim’s home.
On December 7, 2015, the Diocese of Duluth filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier in 2015.
More information on the Diocese of Duluth bankruptcy can be found at:
More information on the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis bankruptcy can be found at: