USF Cleric & Spiritual Advisor to Mother Teresa Named as Perpetrator in Lawsuit Against Archdiocese of San Francisco
& Society of Jesuits Under New Child Victims Act
San Francisco, California – Tuesday in San Francisco, on behalf of a courageous survivor, attorneys from Jeff Anderson & Associates will:
• Reveal and discuss a lawsuit filed under the California Child Victims Act (AB 218) against the Society of Jesus and the Archdiocese of San Francisco for child sexual assault by notorious perpetrator Fr. Donald J. McGuire, S.J.
• Reveal and discuss that as one of the most prominent clerics in the world, Fr. McGuire, who served as Spiritual Advisor to Mother Teresa and held several prestigious positions in universities including the University of San Francisco, was able to sexually assault children throughout his career despite multiple reports of abuse throughout the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s.
• Reveal and discuss how although accounts of his abuse had been regularly reported throughout his career to his superiors, including Mother Teresa, Church hierarchs allowed Fr. McGuire to continue ministry with access to children for decades. His criminal convictions include sexually abusing two students of Loyola Academy in Wilmette, IL in the late 1960s (2006) and traveling to engage in sex acts with a teenager whom he took on national and international trips (2008). He has also been named as a defendant in multiple civil lawsuits brought by survivors who allege Fr. McGuire sexually abused them as children.
• Discuss the historic California Child Victims Act (AB 218), a new law that extends the statute of limitations and provides a three-year window for sexual abuse survivors to bring lawsuits in cases that were previously barred by the statute of limitations, no matter when the abuse occurred or how old the survivor is.
• Encourage sexual abuse survivors to come forward confidentially under AB 218.
• Demand full disclosure by Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone (Archdiocese of San Francisco) of the identities, histories, and current whereabouts of all clergy accused of child sexual abuse who worked in the Archdiocese of San Francisco.
WHEN: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 – 10:00 AM (PT)
: Hilton San Francisco Financial District
750 Kearney Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
The press conference will be live-streamed via You Tube at https://www.youtube.com/andersonadvocates and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AndersonAdvocates/
Spanish-speaking JAA staff will be present and available at this event.
Jeff Anderson – 612.817.8665 (c), 310.357.2425 (o)
Mike Finnegan – 612.205.5531 (c), 310.357.2425 (o)
Joe George, Jr. – 415.307.8744 (c), 310.357.2425 (o)
Marc Pearlman – 773.368.0142 (c), 312.261.4550 (o)
Mary Alexander – 415.433.4440 (o)